Official Monkey Tournaments (OMT)
Monkey Tournaments are set up as follows:
Time: ~3 hours
Cost: If any, it is usually on a “by donation” basis to a particular cause.
Structure: (all games are played 1 vs 1 — each participant always gets to play at least 2 games.)
- Feet Wet Round – This first round is just for fun, a chance “to get your feet wet,” it doesn’t matter whether you win or lose, so this is an ideal teaching round for new players.
- Do random draws to match players together 1 vs 1
- If you win the Feet Wet Round move to Side 1, if you lose move to Side 2 (if your tournament has an odd number of players, randomly select a player to get a “bye” — they move immediately to Side 1)
- Players remain in Side 1 or Side 2 for the remainder of the tournament
- Elimination Phase – Do single or double elimination rounds until Side 1 has a winner and Side 2 has a winner
- Semi-Final – Winner of Side 1 plays Winner of Side 2
- Final Showdown (against Kurgill) – Winner of the Semi-Final plays against Kurgill in an all-or-nothing match. Who will win, you or Kurgill?
- Every participant gets a Tournament Ape to add to their Monkey collection. These apes are flippable character cards that can be obtained exclusively through participation in an Official Monkey Tournament
- The winner of the Semi-Final gets The Gnome Award (Yes! Birdlight Games’s own 3-D gnome model!!)
- The winner of the Final Showdown with Kurgill gets their name engraved on The Gnome Trophy
Hosting Your Own Monkey Tournament? (requires at least 4 participants)
Hosting a monkey tournament is a fun and unique way for you to share Monkey with your friends and family. If you are interested in running your own Official Monkey Tournament, please contact us :).